Crispy Baked Hash Browns
- 3.5 pounds russet potatoes, diced ( ¾ inch or smaller)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut up
- 1.5 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (or preferred high-heat oil)
- Place a large rimmed baking sheet on an oven rack set to the lowest position. Preheat oven to 500ºF.
- In a dutch oven, bring to boil 10 cups of water, over high heat. Add potatoes and baking soda. Bring back to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Drain potatoes and return to pot; place over low heat, shaking the pot occasionally, until any liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and stir in butter, salt, onion powder and cayenne pepper. Stir together until mixed evenly and potatoes are coated with a starchy paste.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and drizzle with oil. Spread potatoes in an even layer. Bake for 30-40 minutes, stirring potatoes every 15 minutes, until potatoes are browned and crispy. Serve immediately.
- To Freeze: Allow potatoes to cool fully on baking sheet, transfer to the freezer until frozen. Once frozen toss into a resealable plastic bag. When ready to use, remove as much as needed from freezer bag, cook in a small amount of oil in a pan over medium heat until warmed through (about 5 minutes).