• 12 chocolate or plain graham crackers
• 1 14 ounce package vanilla caramels, unwrapped
• 1/4 cup half-and-half or light cream
• 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate pieces
• 1 tablespoon shortening
• 1 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts (filberts) or almonds
1. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil, extending the foil over edges of pan. Grease foil. In the prepared pan arrange enough of the graham crackers, side by side, to completely cover pan bottom, breaking to fit as necessary.
2. In a medium heavy saucepan cook and stir caramels and half-and-half over medium-low heat until mixture is smooth.* Pour caramel mixture over graham crackers in pan.
3. In a small heavy saucepan cook and stir chocolate and shortening over medium-low heat until melted and smooth.* Pour melted chocolate mixture over caramel layer in pan, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with nuts. Let stand until set. Using the edges of the foil, lift uncut candy out of pan. Cut into squares.