Chicken In Tomato Basil CreamIngredients
- 1 tbs butter or margarine
- 1/2 C finely chopped onion
- 1 can (14 oz.) plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 C heavy or whipping cream
- 1/2 C thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- Heat oven to 450 F.
- Heat butter in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until
- softened, 5 minutes. Increase heat to high; add tomatoes and cook until liquid is almost evaporated, 5 to 10 minutes. Add cream and bring to boil. Boil until slightly thickened, 3 minutes. Stir in basil, salt and pepper.
- Arrange chicken in shallow baking dish; pour sauce on top. Bake 20
- minutes. Makes 6 (kinda small) servings.
Classic Southern Fried ChickenIngredients
- One 4-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt, such as Lawry’s
- 1 teaspoon seasoned pepper, such as Lawry’s
- 24 ounces solid vegetable shortening, such as Crisco
- Pat the chicken pieces dry and line a baking sheet with wax paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk. Add the chicken. In another bowl, whisk the flour with the seasoned salt and seasoned pepper.
- Dredge the chicken in the seasoned flour and transfer to the baking sheet.
- In a 12-inch, cast-iron skillet, heat the vegetable shortening to 365°.
- Add all of the chicken and fry over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until deeply golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted nearest the bone registers 170°, 20 to 24 minutes.
- Drain the chicken on paper towels and serve right away
Recipe Courtesy of Food and Wine
Mama’s Fried ChickenIngredients
- 1 (3- to 4-pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Self-rising flour
- Vegetable oil
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Place chicken in a shallow dish or zip-top plastic bag, and add buttermilk. Cover or seal, and chill at least 2 hours.
- Remove chicken from buttermilk, discarding buttermilk. Dredge chicken in flour.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1 1/2 inches in a deep skillet or Dutch oven; heat to 360°. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time; cover and cook 6 minutes.
- Uncover chicken, and cook 9 minutes.
- Turn chicken; cover and cook 6 minutes. Uncover and cook 5 to 9 minutes, turning chicken the last 3 minutes for even browning, if necessary.
- Drain on paper towels.
Recipe Courtesy of My Recipes