- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup bottled chili sauce, preferably Heinz
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp hoisin sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp hot-red-chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 kg skin-on, bone-in chicken pieces, excess fat trimmed
- PREHEAT barbecue to medium-low.
- HEAT a large saucepan over medium. Add oil, then onion. Cook, stirring constantly,about1min.Addketchup, chili sauce, sugar, hoisin, garlic powder, Worcestershire, chili flakes and salt. Continue to cook, stirring frequently to keep sauce from splattering, 5 to 8 min. Reserve 1/3 cup and scrape remaining sauce into a small bowl.
- OIL grill. Barbecue chicken, with lid closed, for 15 min. Flip and brush with sauce from pan. Continue barbecuing, brushing with sauce and turning often, until springy when pressed, about 15 more min. Serve with reserved sauce.