For the Pretzel Crust:
- 3/4 cup crushed pretzels
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 80g (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
For the Brownie Layer:
- 115g (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, diced
- 170g (6 ounces) dark chocolate, chopped
- 25g (1/4 cup) cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
- 200g (1 cup) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 140g (1 cup) plain flour
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce
Make the Pretzel Crust:
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F). Line a 20cm square cake pan with foil. Set aside
- Combine all the pretzel crust ingredients in a bowl and mix. Spoon it into the prepared pan and press firmly to form the base, making sure you get it into the corners.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven. Set aside.
Make the Brownie Layer:
- Put the butter and chocoate into a medium saucepan and gently melt over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth.
- Add the eggs one at a time and then stir in the sugar, vanilla and flour.
- Pour the brownie layer over the baked pretzel crust. Dollop spoonfuls of the caramel over the top of the brownie batter and use a knife to swirl it through.
- Bake for 35 – 45 minutes. The brownies are baked when the centre feels just-slightly firm. Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely in the tin before slicing.
Recipe Courtesy of – Milk and Honey