- 1 Cup water
- 1/2 Cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup all purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoon all purpose flour
- 4 egg yolks (keep the egg whites for something else)
- 1 Cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Grease a large cookie sheet (or use parchment paper.)
- In 2 quart saucepan over medium heat, heat water, butter and salt till better melts and mixture boils. Remove from heat.
- Add flour all at once. With wooden spoon vigorously stir until mixture leaves sides of the pan and forms a ball. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Using a large cookie scoop (use a small cookie scoop for minis) Drop by rounded tablespoonful onto cookie sheet The drops should be 1.5-2″ in diameter. You can smooth out the tops with a moistened finger if you like.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden. Remove to racks to cool.
- For the Vanilla Cream filling, In a 3 qt saucepan mix gelatin, sugar and flour. In a small bowl with wire whisk, beat egg yolks and milk till well mixed. Stir into gelatin mixture. Cook over med-low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until mixture is very thick and coats the spoon well (about 10 minutes). Do not boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until cold, about 45 minutes (do not over chill)
- In a small bowl, beat heavy whipping cream till soft peaks form. Fold into custard mixture.
- Use a bread knife to slice tops off puff pastries (about 1/3 from the top to 1/2). Spoon cream into opening and a little more to fill the top. Place top back on top of your cream.
- Prepare your Chocolate ganache. Place chocolate in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan, heat cream over medium heat. At the first sign of boiling, remove from heat and pour hot cream over chocolate. Whisk till all the chocolate is melted and smooth. Spoon over prepared cream puffs.
To make eclairs, place pastry dough in a pastry bag with a large, wide tip, then pipe dough into a log on your baking sheet.
These cream puffs are best eaten the day they are made. If you do need to make them ahead of time. Gently cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.