- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups 35% cream, divided
- 1 1/4 tsp pink salt (or sea salt), divided
- 1 1/4 cups 70% dark chocolate, chopped (about 170 g)
- 2 tsp unsalted butter, diced
- POSITION rack in centre of oven. Preheat to 350F. Place a 9-in. tart pan with 1 1/8-in. sides and a removable bottom on a baking sheet.
- COMBINE flour with 2 tbsp sugar in a medium bowl. Using your fingers, mix 1/2 cup butter into flour mixture until crumbly. Stir in egg yolk and mix until the dough comes together into a ball. Transfer dough to centre of prepared tart pan. Press dough from middle of pan to edges. Using fingertips, press dough up edges of pan until even with rim. Prick pastry with a fork, then line with parchment or foil. Add pie weights or dry beans. Bake in centre of oven for 20 min, then remove parchment and pie weights and continue baking until lightly browned, about 10 min. Set aside to cool slightly, 10 min.
- COMBINE 1 cup sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high. Continue boiling just until it turns a light amber, 5 to 10 min. Stir in 1/2 cup cream and 3/4 tsp salt until smooth. Pour into warm pastry and refrigerate until caramel is firm, about 20 min.
- PLACE chocolate in a medium bowl. Pour remaining 1 cup cream into a small saucepan and set over medium. Bring just to a boil. Pour over chocolate and stir until no streaks remain and chocolate is smooth. Stir in 2 tsp butter and 1/4 tsp salt until glossy. Let cool to room temperature, 10 min.
- SCRAPE chocolate over caramel and refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
- SPRINKLE with remaining 1/4 tsp salt.
Recipe Courtesy of Chatelaine