- 1 cup 1cup(250 mL) (250 mL) butter, softened
- 1 cup 1cup(250 mL) (250 mL) icing sugar
- 1 1eggeggs
- 1 tsp 1tsp(5 mL) (5 mL) almond extract
- 1 tsp 1tsp(5 mL) (5 mL) vanilla
- 2-3/4 cups 2-3/4cups(675 mL) (675 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp 1tsp(5 mL) (5 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp 1tsp(5 mL) (5 mL) salt
- 3/4 cup 3/4cup(175 mL) (175 mL) whole blanched almondwhole blanched almonds
- 1 tube (19 g) 1tube (19 g)red decorator gel, (blood for fingers)
- In bowl, beat together butter, sugar, egg, almond extract and vanilla; beat in flour, baking powder and salt. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Working with one quarter of the dough at a time and keeping remaining dough refrigerated, roll heaping teaspoonful (5 mL) of dough into finger shape for each cookie.
- Press almond firmly into end for nail. Squeeze in centre to create knuckle shape; using paring knife, make slashes in several places to form knuckle.
- Place on lightly greased baking sheets; bake in 325°F (160°C) oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until pale golden. Let cool for 3 minutes. Lift up almond; squeeze red decorator gel onto nail bed and press almond back into place, so gel oozes out from underneath. Remove from baking sheets; let cool on racks. Repeat with remaining dough.
Recipe Courtesy of – Canadian Living