- 1 pound ziti
- 1 pound fresh ricotta , drained
- 9 fresh basil leaves
- 1 pound low-moisture mozzarella, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup shredded provola
- 5 cups Marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and add ziti. Cook the ziti until just al dente, about 10 to 12 minutes, and drain.
- Meanwhile, bring the marinara sauce to simmer in a large skillet.
- Stir in the ricotta and basil leaves. Spread ½ cup of the sauce in the bottom of a 15-by-10-inch Pyrex baking dish.
- Layer half of the ziti on top of the sauce. Sprinkle with half the mozzarella cubes and half of the provola.
- Pour 2 cups of the sauce over the cheese, and spread in an even layer. Top with the rest of the pasta, and spread 2 cups sauce over that layer of pasta.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheeses, and dollop with the remaining ½ cup of sauce.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake, uncovered, until browned and bubbly, about 30 minutes.
- Let rest 5 minutes before cutting. (If you want to assemble this ahead of time, bake for 15 minutes covered with foil, then, when ready to serve, uncover and bake for an additional 20 minutes.)