- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) dried Italian herb seasoning
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) milk
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded old Cheddar cheese
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) prepared pesto
- 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) elbow pasta, (12 oz/340 g)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) grated parmesan cheese
- In large saucepan or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat; cook onion, garlic and Italian seasoning, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk, mustard and salt; cook, whisking, until thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in Cheddar cheese until smooth.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine tomato and pesto; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and return to pot. Add sauce and toss to coat.
- Serve sprinkled with tomato mixture and Parmesan cheese.
Recipe Courtesy of – Canadian Living