- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- Stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon water at a time, until all the dough is moistened. Divide in half. Form each half into a ball. On lightly floured surface, flatten 1 dough ball. Roll from center to edges into 12-inch circle.
- To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry.
- Transfer filling to pastry-lined pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim of pie plate.
Roll remaining dough into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
- Cut slits to allow steam to escape. Place remaining pastry on filling; trim 1/2 inch beyond edge of plate. Fold top pastry under bottom pastry.
- Crimp edge as desired. Bake as directed in individual recipes. Makes 8 servings