- 1 pound asparagus
- 60 ml pine nuts (toasted optional)
- 2 or 3 medium garlic cloves
- 2 ml salt
- 125 ml olive oil
- 125 ml freshly grated Parmigiano-(Reggiano/ Grana Padano) or Pecorino Cheese
- Place water in the bottom half of a steamer pan set. bring to a boil.
- Trim the dry ends off of the asparagus. If the spears are thick, peel them lightly with a vegetable peeler.
- Place them in the top half of the steamer pan set. Steam for 5 to 10 minutes depending on the thickness of the asparagus, or until asparagus is tender.
- Drain asparagus well in a colander and pat dry.
- In a food processor pulse pine nuts and garlic with salt until finely chopped.
- Add asparagus and oil and pulse until asparagus is coarsely chopped.
- Transfer pesto to a large bowl and stir in cheese.
- Use immediately or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate to store. Will last several days chilled.
Toasted Pine Nuts : Spread the nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 375°F, stirring occasionally, until golden-brown, 5 to 10 minutes
Freezing : If you are planning on freezing this batch, leave the cheese out and add it when you are serving the pesto. It doesn’t freeze very well and you might find the flavor a bit off.