- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 1/2 cups bleached all-purpose flour
- chopped nuts, coconut, sprinkles or sugar, for decorating
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in egg, egg yolk, vanilla and salt and mix well. Gradually, with the mixer on low speed, blend in the flour until a smooth dough comes together.
- Divide dough in half and shape each piece into a log roughly 2-inches across. Wrap in wax paper or parchment paper and freeze for about 2 hours, or until firm. Dough can also be stored for several days in the fridge (several weeks in the freezer, well-wrapped).
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Take the logs of chilled dough and cut each in half. Dough may need to soften for a few minutes. Roll each smaller log in finely chopped nuts, coconut, sprinkles or coarse sugar. Cut logs into slices about 1/4-inch thick. Transfer cookie rounds to prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, until cookies just begin to brown around the edges. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Makes 4-5 dozen cookies