- 1 cup (250 mL) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) granulated sugar
- In stand mixer with paddle attachment or in bowl using wooden spoon, beat together butter, icing sugar, vanilla and salt until light and fluffy; mix in flour just until combined. Divide in half; shape into squares.
- Wrap each in plastic wrap; refrigerate until firm but not hard, about 45 minutes.
- Working with 1 square at a time, roll out dough between waxed paper to 1/2-inch (1 cm) thickness; trim edges.
- Cut into 3/4-inch (2 cm) wide strips; cut crosswise into 2-inch (5 cm) lengths. Place, about 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart, on parchment paper–lined baking sheets
- . Prick tops with fork; sprinkle with granulated sugar. Chill until firm, about 15 minutes.
- Bake in 300ºF (150ºC) oven until pale golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool on pans on racks for 10 minutes; transfer to racks and let cool completely. (Make-ahead: Store in airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month.)
Recipe Courtesy of – Canadian Living