For The Cupcakes:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup prepared hot cocoa, cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
For The Whipped Cream
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- mini marshmallows
- mini chocolate chips
- crushed peppermints
- 18 mini candy canes
- For The Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake tins with 18 paper liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Using a wire whisk, blend the dry ingredients thoroughly.
- Add the oil, prepared hot cocoa, vanilla and eggs to the dry ingredients. Whisk until well incorporated and no lumps remain. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Evenly divide the batter between the lined cupcakes tins.
- Bake the cupcakes for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes; then place them on a rack to cool completely.
- For The Whipped Cream: In a medium bowl, combine heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat until thick, creamy, and slightly stiff, being careful not to overbeat.
- To Assemble The Cupcakes: Pipe or mound the sweetened whipped cream onto the cooled cupcakes. Garnish with a sprinkling of mini marshmallows, mini chocolate chips and crushed peppermints. Add a mini candy cane tucked into the side of the cupcake, to make a handle for the “mug” of hot cocoa.
Serve immediately. Cover and refrigerate any leftovers.
- Makes 18 cupcakes.
Recipe Courtesy of – Lick The Bowl Good