- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pumpkin-pie spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup pure pumpkin purée
- 1/3 cup pumpkin ale
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp pumpkin ale
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Lightly spray a 9 × 5-in. loaf pan with oil.
- STIR flour with baking soda, pumpkin-pie spice and salt in a medium bowl.
- WHISK eggs with brown sugar in a large bowl. Whisk in pumpkin purée, 1/3 cup ale, oil and vanilla. Whisk flour mixture into pumpkin mixture until combined. Scrape into prepared pan (batter will be thick). Smooth top.
- BAKE in centre of oven until loaf is dark golden and a skewer inserted in centre of loaf comes out clean, 60 to 65 min. Transfer to a rack. Let stand 15 min. Run a knife along edges of loaf pan and transfer loaf to rack.
- WHISK icing sugar and pumpkin ale in a small bowl. Spoon over top of loaf and sprinkle with pepitas.
Ingredient Tip: Pumpkin ale is sold in beer or liquor stores during the fall. Cream ale works just as well.
Kid-Friendly Tip: Substitute unsweetened apple juice for ale in the recipe.